13 Aug An Overview of Singapore Work Passes
Singapore has been consistently ranked among the top for the ranking on the investor friendly country, partly due to the first world county, it become the ideal business and commercial hub in Southeast Asia. There are various work pass and permit scheme for foreign working professionals and entrepreneurs.
Work Pass and Permit Schemes
Employment Pass (EP)
Employment Pass (EP) is the main type of work permit meant for foreign professionals, managers and executives who will be working in Singapore. Applicants must earn at least S$3600 a month with acceptable qualification for fresh graduates while higher salaries are required for a more senior and experienced applicants. However, there are no official quota system limiting the number of EPs that can be issued.
- Validity : For the first-time candidates, the EP will usually valid up to 2 years and renewable as long as the applicant continues to be employed.
- Eligibility : Works in a managerial, executive or specialized job
- Permanent Residence Eligibility : EP holders are eligible to apply for PR
To file for EP application, there are two ways which is either register online or manual applications. Nevertheless, online registrations usually processed within 3 weeks from the date of submission and manual applications processed within 8 weeks from the date of submissions which allows for the attachment of all supporting documents. The overall processing time of your application may be vary by several days or weeks due to reason such as the credentials of the employing Singapore company, qualifications of the applicant, and the availability of supporting documents.
The S Pass is for the mid-skilled employees who earn a fixed monthly salary of at least $2300 a month. S Pass applicants are assessed based on employer’s quota eligibility and qualifications. A degree or diploma may be considered as technical certificates for example courses for qualified technicians or specialists for at least 1 year of full-time study.
- Validity : For the first-time candidates, the S Pass will usually valid up to 2 years at the discretion of authorities and renewable as long as the applicant continues to be employed.
- Eligibility : Mid-level staff
- Permanent Residence Eligibility : S Pass holders are eligible to apply for PR. The application will be assessed based on the Immigration and Checkpoints Authority’s (ICA) PR criteria.
To file for S Pass application, an employer or authorized third part has to apply for the applicant’s S Pass.
Working Permit (WP) is for semi-skilled foreign workers in the construction, manufacturing, marine shipyard, process or services sector. WP holder fixed monthly salary of at least $3600 depending on their working experience.
- Validity : For the first-time candidates, the permit will usually valid up to 2 years and renewable up to 6 months before the pass expires as long as the applicants continue to be employed.
- Eligibility : Semi-skilled foreign workers
- Permanent Residence Eligibility : WP holders are not eligible to apply for PR.